The Wheeling Lake Erie Railroad yards were constructed in what is now known as Brewster. The construction of the yards was started in 1906. A terminal was also added and Brewster became a primary transfer point for the Wheeling and Lake Erie railroads. The village of Brewster came into existence in 1910.
The Wandel House provided 62 rooms- a single bed and radiator in each living space. The men staying here were members of the railroad crews which were laid over on a trip. They were provided with food in the restaurant- which was always open. Housed in the basement, there is a four lane bowling alley that is manually operated, a theater and reading room for relaxing and games.
Today the Wandel House building is the home of the Brewster Sugar Creek Twp. Historical Society and Museum. The name "Wandel" was taken from the names Wheeling and Lake Erie. The Historical Society collects artifacts from Brewster, Beach City, Justice, Sugar Creek Township, and all railroads.
(Note: The second floor space is not available for tours at this time.)